Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Transfer update - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain


I promised you all more transfer news when I got it, and I have some more!

According to wearethenorthbank (the same blog that broke the Downing story), we have reopened talks with Southampton over winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. For me, it's good news - the only two players we have that can play on the wing are Arshavin and Nasri. Walcott isn't a winger, and neither is Bendtner. 

The article above says that the sticking point of the deal the last time the clubs were negotiating was the sell-on clause; Southampton wanted more than we were willing to give them. Sell-on clauses have been used very cleverly by Arsenal in the past - David Bentley got us something like £5 million when he moved to Tottenham for £17 million. I'm sure we'll be able to strike out a deal, and I hope we do.

As usual, any more concrete news will be up as and when I hear it.
 

7 comments:

  1. just a small point, but whats the point of wingers without a big striker? I dunno how many times we put the ball into the area this season (and previous ones), but no one on the end of it. get a big striker and play him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous I've used United as an example so many times recently, but they don't exactly have a big striker. Plus, wingers aren't just for aerial balls. They get in behind defences and are very good for cutting the ball back across goal for players to score. If we played 4-4-2, perhaps we'd have more players in the box to finish off those moves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got Chamack, who I believe will be back! And a fresh fit RvP is one of the best strikers in the world no doubt. Although, I would love to see a partnership upfront Rvp and Benzema maybe? Or even Walcott. Those two suit each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @RManGOoN RVP and Walcott work well together. Would like to see rotation of three strikers in a 4-4-2 depending on form, same with wingers - again, it works for United (Berbatov, Rooney, Hernandez/Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs).

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I'd prefer to see walcott up front, you can't say he's not a winger. He's pretty effective there, you know. He's got goals from running inside and quite a few assists from classic wing play this season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Dav True, but a lot of times he's been isolated out wide and been completely ineffective. If he played up front, I think he could still do what he does best on the wing - like what you said - roaming across the front-line like Henry, but also scoring more goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care about what wenger has in mind all I want is to see good names with expirience in arsenal. I belive that's its only when wenger is sack that arsenal will win a trophy

    ReplyDelete